Here is the marriage of two of my favorite food loves, coffee and ice cream…but not in that order of course. Cafe affogato, in all it’s glory of deliciousness, is something I should have come to learn about a long time ago. I discovered the inspiration for this recipe four years ago via Pinterest. For me, growing up involved my old folks and other members of our extended family, coming over, gathering around the dining table and chatting it up on the daily drama and news of the day over some espresso. Now, I will draw attention to the fact that this was done at the very end of the day, after dinner, as a dessert…and somehow everyone managed to still be able to go to sleep just find. Must be a Cuban thing. So cue nearly 30 years later from this time in my childhood as I am now where my family was then so-to-speak, I find myself enjoying espresso at night as well. If you know me well you’ll also know I have a very deep passion…ok I’ll come out and be more honest…obsession with ice cream. Check out my vanilla bean ice cream recipe below. The Italian are geniuses at having invented putting the two together because now I won’t have my espresso any other way. It’s the best of both worlds. Enjoy!
2 shots of espresso (preferably Italian)
1 tsp sugar
2 scoops of vanilla bean ice cream
1. Pull two shots of espresso from an espresso maker.
2. Stir 2 tsp of sugar into the espresso vigorously.
3. Scoop two scoops of vanilla bean ice cream into a cup.
4. Pour the espresso over the ice cream. Do not delay…you know what to do from here…DEVOUR and SLURP!
- 2 shots of espresso (preferably Italian)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 scoops of vanilla bean ice cream
- Pull two shots of espresso from an espresso maker.
- Stir 2 tsp of sugar into the espresso vigorously.
- Scoop two scoops of vanilla bean ice cream into a cup.
- Pour the espresso over the ice cream. Do not delay...you know what to do from here...DEVOUR and SLURP!